SCT Tuner has merged with Bullydog Tuners and Derive Systems, and has changed most of their websites and support pages. I’ve updated the links below (as of 7/20/2021) so they go to the new support pages, but the X3 Tuner is no longer supported so there is no way to get updates for it.
But if you already have the software, this guide might help.
If you’ve never done this before, it’s very frustrating to get started with all the right software.
I will add pics soon, but here are the basics.
How to use the SCT SF3/X3 tuner with your computer:
(written for LiveLink v.6.1)
- First download and install Microsoft’s .NET Framework if you don’t already have it. Download from MS’ site below, click the “Download” button near the top of the screen. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/
- PLUG IN DEVICE TO PC USING USB CABLE (A TO B CABLE). It will prompt you for drivers locations, just wait and don’t answer yet. Plugging it in will give device power and you can look up what firmware it has on it already. This will tell you whether you have an enhanced or non-enhanced version.
- On SCT SF3/X3, select “Device Info” and write all this info down, specifically noting the current firmware version.
- Make sure you have written down the following: STRATEGY, SER#, MODEL# (ON BOX), then find out which version you have by comparing your SCT Tuner’s Serial # with the information on this SCT webpage, https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/most-popular-articles/how-do-i-update-my-device
This will tell you whether your firmware version is ENHANCED OR NOT.
- Go to SCT’s website: https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/most-popular-articles/how-do-i-update-my-device
- Select button that corresponds to your device. Sadly the X3 is no longer officially supported.
- If you have the old X3 software and updated, the instructions below might help:
- Under the 1st pulldown labeled “Select SCT Device”, select “SF3 Ford – P/N: 3015”, if that is the model of SCT Tuner you have.
- Under the 2nd pulldown labeled “Select the Software Type”, there are the following choices:
- Device Tune Revision
- Device Update Software
- Device Firmware
- Download the latest of each of them that applies to you. Look up existing firmware versions on chart to see if you have enhanced or non-enhanced. Make sure you have latest version, if not then download it. You should have a maximum of 2 files downloaded now, 1 for DEVICE UPDATE SOFTWARE and 1 for LATEST FIRMWARE (if needed).
- Before updating your SCT’s firmware, ask your your tune vendor (Bama, American Muscle, Brenspeed, etc) if updating the firmware will overwrite the tunes that may be installed on your SCT Tuner.
- Now go to: https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/136470-info/346005-downloads
- Go to “Add-on Software and Utilities” near the bottom-right and select “Live-Link Software” current version is 6.1, previous versions are under “discontinued software”
- Download it and install.
- Also install SCT updater software that you downloaded earlier (Device Update Software).
- Go back to the “Install Drivers” prompt in Windows and just point it to the root of your C: drive and check “include subfolders”. It should find the right drivers no problem now that the Device Update Software has been installed.
What to do next? While on SCT’s website, download the manuals for the SCT SF3 Ford, the DashScan, and more by going to: https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/49353-sct and searching for “Product Manual”
Also at that link there are videos on “Updating your X3 or Livewire flash device” and “Formatting your X3 or Livewire flash device”.
You should be all set to use your SCT tuner with your computer. Now you just have to use it on your car!