BOSS 302 Crate Motors Released
Ford unleashed their sweet BOSS 302 motors as crate motors available from Ford Racing. Now with a mere $12 G’s we can all slap one of these bad boys under our hoods and rip our tires off this summer. Sure it’s $5000 more than the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L motor for only 30 more HP, but why screw around?
Personally, I would get the $7000 412-hp Mustang GT motor then buy a BOSS 302 intake instead for $440 if you’re just going for the BOSS look under the hood with better performance than the outgoing 4.6L motor.
Here’s what Ford had to say about this sweet new crate offering:
“Ford Racing’s aluminum 5.0L Mustang Boss 302 crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) and high flow CNC cylinder heads to deliver 444 horsepower and 380 ft.-lb.+ of torque (with premium fuel)
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
- Features large sump 8.5 qt oil pan with revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under hard cornering
- Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Ford Racing’s Daytona Prototype engine program
- 80 mm single bore “drive by wire” throttlebody
- High-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
- Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
- Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
- Vehicle harness and PCM not included
- Engine weight: 444 lbs
Boss 302 crate engine shown with optional Ford blue coil pack covers FRPP part # : M-6P067-M50B and NVH insulator pads, Ford dealer part # :CR3Z-6N041-A. sold separately.
Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
Photo and specs may vary. “